In 2018, Florentina Bratfanof (Casting Director for the film Touch Me Not) was one of the 14 nominated Casting Directors for International Casting Director Award, event organized by European Casting Directors Network (ICDN). Touch Me Not written and directed by Adina Pintilie won The Golden Bear and GWFF Best First Feature Award at Berlinale 2018! (Homepage Photo: © Manekino Film, Rohfilm, Pink, Agitprop, Les Films de l'Etranger)
2018/ 2019 - Casting Director for feature film To The North written and directed by Mihai Mincan, produced by deFilm, on going casting process
2018 – Casting Director for Microhistory – Real Stories Told Live, part two, produced by Romanian Association for Performing Arts [www.microistoria.ro]
2018 – Casting Director for feature film The Gendarme written and directed by Dan Chisu, Produced by Domestic Film/ Anamaria Antoci
- Casting Director for feature film Otto The barbarian written and directed by Ruxandra Ghitescu, Produced by Alien Fim/ Iuliana Tarnovetchi
- Casting Director for feature film Si poate mai traiesc si azi, written and directed by Tudor Jurgiu, produced by Libra Film
- Casting Director for feature film La Foret d' Argent written and directed by Emmanuel Bourdieu, produced by Italique Productions and Zadig Productions for Arte France.
2018 - Casting Director for several shorts:
- Cearsaful written and directed by George Ganeard, produced by 4proof Film
- Afganistanii written by Claudia and Adrian Silisteanu, directed by Adrian Silisteanu, produced by Domestic Film
- Despre noi written and directed by Ruxandra Ghitescu, produced by Alien Film/ Iuliana Tarnovetchi
- Idila written and directed by Mihai Mincan, produced by deFilm
2017 – Casting Director for Microhistory – Real Stories Told Live, part one - produced by Romanian Association for Performing Arts
Real people living in Romania, coming from all social classes and ethnic, age and gender categories are going on stage to tell a story which changed their lives. Each story is true and each voice is authentic, so the shows fall in between documentary and theater. The result is a picture of Romania today, 100 years after the moment this country was founded. A complex, deeply moving puzzle able to inspire the audience, a live archive.The art of storytelling becomes one more time an instrument of knowledge and a way of learning tolerance.
2017 – Casting Director for several shorts:
Padurarul written and directed by Norbert Fodor, produced by deFilm;
Trafic de 6 written and directed by Raluca David, produced by 4Proof Film/ Anamaria Antoci;
Washington written and directed by Gabriel Achim, produced by Green Film/ Anamaria Antoci;
Tanarul saritor in timp/ Chronochinezia written by Filip Columbeanu, directed by Radu Barbulescu, produced by Alien Film;
Basmofilia written and directed by Tudor Jurgiu, produced by deFilm/ Ioana Lascar.
2016/ 2017 – Casting Director for the feature film Un om la locul lui written and directed by Hadrian Marcu, currently in postproduction stage, produced by 4Proof Film/ Anamaria Antoci and Adrian Silisteanu. [https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7437492/]
2016 - Talent Scouter and Casting Director for the feature film Otto The Barbarian written and directed by Ruxandra Ghitescu, in preproduction stage, producer Alien Film
- Casting Director (Romania) for the French feature film With Open Arms directed by Phillipe de Chauveron [https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5804948/?ref_=nm_flmg_cldr_4]
– Casting Director for the feature film Eastern Business written and directed by Igor Cobileanski
Romania/ Lithuania/ Moldova coproduction
With Constantin Puscasu, Ion Sapdaru, Daniel Busuioc
The film premiered in 2016 and won best actors (Ion Sapdaru and Constantin Puscasu) and best script (Igor Cobileanski) at Tallin Black Nights Film Festival in 2016
- Casting Director for the short Ana is coming back written and directed by Ruxandra Ghitescu
- Casting Director (Romania) for the Russian-American short Brutus, directed by Konstantin Fam
2014 / 2015 – Casting Director for the feature film Touch Me Not written and directed by Adina Pintilie
Romania / Germany / Czech Republic / Bulgaria / France coproduction
With Laura Benson, Tómas Lemarquis, Christian Bayerlein, Grit Uhlemann, Hanna Hofmann, Seani Love, Irmena Chichikova
World premiere in Competition Berlinale 2018
The casting process for Touch Me Not involved very much a large amount of research on performance art in Romania, contemporary dance, physicality, creating a character, but also consisted in video improvisations with Romanian actors.
2014 – Casting Director for Hedda's Sisters –national casting process for three female theatre directors: Carmen Lidia Vidu, Catinca Draganescu and Ioana Paun
Ibsen Awards has awarded the Romanian project “Hedda’s Sisters. Empowering Women Theatre Artists in Romania and Eastern Europe” an International Ibsen Scholarship 2014. The project initiated by theater critic and curator Cristina Modreanu focuses on Ibsen’s feminine characters, aiming to use them as a tool to showcase contemporary women’s perspective and empower Romanian women theater artists, extending the conversation to the Eastern Europe too. The project was produced by Romanian Association for Performing Arts.
2011 – 2013 Talent Scouter for Media Pro Pictures. The main project was the Scouting Caravan in 9 cultural centres/ cities in Romania.
2009 - 2011 – Artistic Consultant for Odeon Theatre in Bucharest
Since 2008 – cultural journalist for http://revistascena.ro/ – Romanian Performing Arts Magazine
Informal Education and Workshops:
Since 2016, every year I observe the acting process in the Masterclass Creating Characters led by Susan Batson, organized by INTERKUST Berlin
–participant at the National Forum for Creative and Cultural Industries,organized by ORICUM Association, Bucharest, Romania
–participant to the training course Finance your ideas!, Bucharest, Romania
- trainee at 10thCICAE training Art Cinema = Action + Management,Venice, Italy
- participant at UNPACK THE ARTS European residency for cultural journalist to be specialized in writing about contemporary circus, Rotterdam, Netherlands;
- participant at the workshop Filmmaker’s Development Toolkit led by Andy Glyne, Bucharest, Romania
- participant at Kino Kabaret and Film Criticism Workshop at GENERATOR 2013– Youth Audiovisual Forum, Strasbourg, France
- participant at Performance Analysis Workshop led by Patrice Pavis, workshop organised by Interferences International Theatre Festival in Cluj
- participant at the course Beyond the Rumor Mill: Cultural Affairs Journalism and Its Grasp of Cultural Policy as a Systemic Context, organized by CEU Summer University.
- participant at the Summer University: "Global Economy and Creative Industries" organized by EuroBalkan and financed by Central European Initiative, Ohrid, Macedonia.
- participant at the Conference “Performance Art Training Today”, Bovec, Slovenia. The conference and the trainings included were organized and coordinated by Global Theatre Experience from UK.
- internship period was held at DAH Theatre Research Center, Belgrade, on PR and marketing and programme development, cultural management analysis.
2007 - 2008: MA in Cultural Management and Policy in the Balkans, University of Arts, Belgrade, Serbia; double diploma also certified by University Lumiere Lyon 2, France;
2005 - 2007: MA in Slavic Cultural Studies, University of Bucharest, final thesis about Today’s Serbian Dramaturgy;
2000 - 2004: University of Bucharest, Faculty of Foreign Languages and Literatures, Serbian – Romanian.
In 2011 I chose to follow this path of Talent Scouter and then Casting Director out from a great admiration of the creation process (in performing arts and films) and a personal belief that I am merely a point of access (sometimes a creative one) for you to create characters.
Since 2014, after working with Adina Pintilie, I became a great admirer of Susan Batson generosity, will and commitment towards the truth of acting process and I began to follow every year her workshop in Berlin, workshop organised by Interkunst Berlin. I didn't follow the workshop to become an actor, but just to be able to understand better the stakes of your work.
I also hope this platform will be an open door to get to know new talents and their artistic work, so you can send me your portofolio at email@example.com.
Portofolio check list:
- recent professional photos;
- professional CV
- showreel or an audition
I hope to meet you soon for a film or performing arts project!
Note: If you send me your portofolio, I understand the fact is intended only for the addressee named above. The contents will not be disclosed to any other persons excerpt directors and/or producers nor copies taken. Florentina Bratfanof Casting Director is GDPR compliant.